Monday, November 23, 2009

The Art of Losing

It's been fun watching our 11 year old play "Traveling Basketball" this year. He IS a Forest Lake Ranger. I remember when he got his jersey and game bag...there was a sense of pride on his face as he walked with a new swagger in his step. Now, we've been told that this is a learning year...and truth be told---it is!

The team has played 6 games and their record is 1 and 5. They have had a few games where the span of points was greater than 20, and yet-there is an art that they are learning about how to be humble, gracious and carry themselves with integrity in the midst of the loss.

I wonder how well I do when things just don't go my way...maybe I feel, at times, like the "ref" has made a bad call. I want my life to reflect the Character of my Savior...even in the midst of the losses...in fact, even more so in the losses. It's easy to be a great winner but challenging to be a great loser.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a difference of feeling like a "loser" and choosing to "lose" gracefully. Thanks for the thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I like winning!

Serenity said...

yes. Being a gracious loser is not only nice for the other people around you, but it improves your own experience greatly! Excellent lesson to learn.