Friday, April 10, 2009

Strayed Away

Isaiah 53:5-6
~He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.


It's been a few hours now since our Good Friday Service ended. It was a nice service, the music flowed well, the message was good...but as I drove home I wondered if we have strayed away from the seriousness of what Good Friday really means.
Now I get excited about Easter Morning, the Celebration of Jesus and His Resurrection, the Power of our King conquering sin and death... but I wonder if my generation lacks a soberness, even a somberness for what our Savior went through before the resurrection- I felt tonight like we don't know how to handle Good Friday...should we be sad?, is it tradition?, is it wrong to be happy?...

As people were planning their meal plans for after the service, or weekend activities, it just left me wondering~wondering why we don't tear up when we read the verses describing what Jesus went through. He was beaten beyond recognition...He died a HORRIBLE death...I want to remember, I want to take it serious, I don't want to keep up the same pace the world has set for me, I want to take it all in...for what joy can there be on Easter if we don't take a moment to remember, to be silent, and somber...in realizing just what our Savior endured for each of us, that we might have life everlasting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I was getting caught up reading your blog, and you know how a phrase from the bible can just echo in your spirit? "The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him"
I LOOOOOOVE peace, and I can only imagine what it would be like to live without it. Wouldn't be worth it! Anyway, thought I'd share.
I feel kinda re-centered
Love you,
C